Goal 1: To increase implementation of comprehensive effective sun protection policies and guidelines
Evidence suggests that sun protection policies can help ensure skin cancer prevention is prioritised by organisations and governments, and plays a significant role in agenda setting.
This goal ensures all NSW Government agencies and relevant industry bodies are implementing effective, comprehensive sun protection policies and guidelines, which address:
- scheduling of outdoor activities
- provision of shade
- use of clothing, hats, sunglasses, sunscreen
- role modelling
- education and communication.
The strategies and prioritised actions under this goal include expansion or improvement of policies and guidelines across education, workplace and recreational settings.
Over the next five years, the development and implementation of evidence‑based sun protection policies by NSW Government agencies and relevant industry bodies will be supported by:
- strategic efforts to improve awareness and understanding of effective, comprehensive sun protection policies among NSW Government agencies and relevant industry bodies
- increased and targeted support for NSW Government agencies and relevant industry bodies to develop and implement comprehensive sun protection policies.
Data and information will be used to monitor and evaluate progress against this goal under the Strategy, including evaluation of individual campaigns, programs and interventions.
View the Strategy for a detailed outline of the strategies and prioritised actions against each of the objectives within Goal 1.