Co-promotion and co-education of cervical screening with another screening or health service
How to co-promote your cervical screening community initiatives:
- Contact your local health service such as BreastScreen NSW Screening and Assessment Service (SAS) to determine what cervical screening opportunities are available. View the BreastScreenNSW SAS contact list (PDF).
- Contact your local health service well in advance to understand how best to collaborate with them.
- Think about what activity you want to deliver for cervical screening.
WATCH: Improving access to cervical screening through pop-up clinics
CASE STUDY: Cervical Screening Pop-Up Clinic and Breastscreen NSW mobile vans
Joanne, a Women’s Health Nurse in Western NSW LHD, identified that Aboriginal women were not going for cervical screening tests regularly and decided to do something practical like organising cervical screening pop up clinics whilst the Breastscreen NSW mobile van was in Warren NSW.
Joanne took the following steps to organise the pop-up clinic:
- Contacted the Breastscreen NSW SAS at least 6 weeks prior to the mobile van visiting.
- Used a nearby building for the pop-up clinic so that it was next to the Breastscreen NSW mobile van.
- Co-promoted the cervical screening pop up clinic on the Breastscreen NSW invitation letter by providing dates, location and contact number for the pop-up clinic.
- Provided education sessions with the Breastscreen NSW Health Promotion Officer before the Breastscreen NSW mobile vans arrived in the local town.
- Organised drop-in appointments with Breastscreen NSW mobile vans for women that also attended the pop-up clinic.
Tips: Co-education with another screening or health service
- Contact your local health service such as Breastscreen NSW SAS well in advance to understand how best to collaborate with them for an education session and whether they can provide resources.
- Organise an education session on cervical screening.
Consider the following when delivering co-education sessions:
- Timing and whether holding education sessions together or separately.
- Booking in appointments for breast screening and cervical screening following the education sessions.
- If holding a pop-up clinic, promote it at the education session.