Hunter Cancer Research Alliance
The HCRA is one of seven Cancer Institute NSW Translational Cancer Research Centres incorporating research, clinical training, education and service delivery within a formal framework that links leading research and clinical centres.
HCRA brings together over 450 highly experienced researchers, clinicians and allied health professionals working in all areas of translational cancer research from:
- The University of Newcastle
- Hunter Medical Research Institute
- Hunter New England Local Health District
- Calvary Mater Hospital Newcastle
Focus of centre
The HCRA aims to:
- Enhance collaboration
- Facilitating comprehensive training and career development programs
- Leveraging funding and increasing competitive advantage
- Developing and maintaining essential research infrastructure
- Disseminating research findings and supporting the implementation of evidence into practice
HCRA has streamlined its research efforts into the following Flagship Programs:
- Biomarkers and Targeted Therapies (BTT): discovery, development and implementation of biomarkers and targeted therapy to personalise medical care and improve patient outcomes.
- Implementation Science and Impact (ISI): increasing knowledge and practice change relating to: cancer care, social and emotional wellbeing of cancer patients, cancer prevention, survivorship; or the behaviour of health care providers, to deliver improved outcomes and experiences for people affected by cancer.
- Radiation Oncology, Cancer Imaging & Technology (ROCIT): research on long-term patient survival through improvements in radiation oncology, cancer imaging and technology with the aim to deliver more precise diagnosis and management to improve patient outcomes.
HCRA supports our members to enhance their research endeavours through a number of initiatives including, but not limited to:
- Travel support
- Statistical support
- Educational and training workshops
- Consumer engagement opportunities
- Access to infrastructure including the Hunter Cancer Biobank
Support for Early and Mid-Career Researchers is also a high priority, with the HCRA Future Leaders Group providing targeted support to build research capacity and foster collaboration.
Contact: Operations and Communications Officer
Phone: 02 4042 0862