Enhancing the experience of people with cancer
The NSW Cancer Plan puts the needs of people affected by cancer first.
It enhances the experiences of everyone affected by cancers, recognising that the cancer journey is inevitably difficult for patients, family and carers.
Supporting people to stay healthy during and after their cancer diagnosis is important. The NSW Cancer Plan implements a range of actions to ensure people are supported to be healthy.
Engaging the community and people affected by cancers in service planning and delivery is a key component.
Providing care and support for people who are dying from cancer, as well as their families and carers, will continue to be a focus of this plan.
NSW Cancer Plan actions
- Implementing strategies and developing resources that support people affected by cancer to appropriately self-manage.
- Developing and disseminating information to support patient decision making about cancer treatment, care and survivorship.
- Providing accessible information and support to people affected by cancer.
- Ensuring survivorship management after treatment.
- Building stronger links to physical rehabilitation services for people with cancer.
- Facilitating access to psycho-social support for people affected by cancer.
- Embedding interventions for smoking cessation in cancer diagnosis and treatment services.
- Implementing the NSW Rural Health Plan: Towards 2021 to improve engagement with regional and rural NSW.
- Improving activities that facilitate the cultural safety and appropriateness of cancer services.
- Developing initiatives that facilitate greater engagement of people affected by cancer and the community in service planning and delivery.
- Developing methods to collect patient experience measures and patient outcomes to inform the planning and implementation of cancer service improvement activities.
- Implementing the NSW Government Plan to increase access to palliative care 2012–2016.
- Developing online learning resources that support health professionals to engage in end of life and advance care planning for those affected by cancer.
The indicator below is used to track and report on the progress of this objective
- Patient experience of cancer care