Treatment and primary care
During treatment, primary health care providers provide ongoing holistic care to patients. This includes supporting the person, carers and family in a culturally safe and responsive manner to ensure they access the right information and resources that promote informed decision-making and reduce uncertainty.
Support may include addressing concerns related to the cancer diagnosis, treatment, follow-up care and other health-related issues that may impact on quality of life, for instance, travel to treatment.
They also have a key role in supporting mid- treatment reviews, especially for patients located in rural areas.
Jump to information on:
- eviQ cancer treatment information
- eviQ Education
- Optimal cancer care pathways
- Breast reconstruction options for patients with breast cancer
- Know the T.I.P.S. (Team, Involvement, Plan Support)
- Cancer and COVID-19
- Cancer costs information for patients
- Treatment information for patients
This booklet has been developed in collaboration with Aboriginal Health Workers to provide important and practical information to help you support your patients during their cancer treatment.
eviQ is a free resource of evidence-based, consensus driven cancer treatment protocols and information for use by primary care teams and their patients at the point of care. eviQ is developed for the Australian context and supports health professionals in the delivery of cancer treatments
- Health professional fact sheets - information to assist general practitioners in supporting patients
- Patient and carer information - includes patient information sheets for every cancer treatment available, videos and translated resources.
Optimal cancer care pathways
The optimal cancer care pathways have been developed to provide information for health professionals on the best cancer care for specific tumour types and are available in their full version or as quick reference guides.
Breast reconstruction options for patients with breast cancer
Know the T.I.P.S.(Team, Involvement, Plan, Support): Improve your cancer care
Know the T.I.P.S. is a four point guide for your patients to help them have conversations with their doctor, and ultimately help them manage their cancer care.
- Information for health professionals:
- Information for patients and carers:
Cancer and COVID-19
COVID-19 information for people affected by cancer and resources for health professionals. Also includes information on COVID-19 vaccines for people with cancer.
Cancer costs information for patients
Treatment information for patients
- General and specific cancer types
- For Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to understand what happens if they have cancer.
- Translated in multiple languages for culturally and linguistically diverse patients
- For patients in rural or remote areas
- For children and young people affected by cancer.