Support when you have cancer


Support when you have cancer star_border Save this page

People with cancer may need a range of information and support at different times. The support needed can be:

  • physical
  • emotional
  • practical.

It is important to know that there are people and organisations that can help.

Support for people with mesothelioma

The main organisation that provides information and support for people with cancer is the Cancer Council. Their services include:

  • an Information and Support line, 13 11 20, which has specially trained staff available to offer support
  • a range of face-to-face, online and telephone support groups
  • a program called Cancer Connect where you can talk to someone who has experienced cancer
  • an online community for people with cancer and their families and friends.

Specialist organisations that provide support for people with mesothelioma are:

  • The Asbestos Diseases Research Institute (ADRI) – The ADRI Mesothelioma Support Coordinator Service is provided by experienced registered nurses who offer telephone, email and face-to-face support to patients and their families – call 1300 237 400 or (02) 9767 9854 or email
  • The Asbestos Diseases Foundation of Australia (adfa) – is an advocacy organisation that provides support for people living with asbestos related diseases –  call 1800 006 196 or email

You should also have access to a cancer care coordinator or social worker at the hospital where you are being treated. They can tell you what services and support groups are available locally. Your GP may also be able to provide information about this.

Compensation for people with mesothelioma due to asbestos exposure

People who develop mesothelioma due to asbestos exposure may be entitled to make a claim for compensation.

Making a claim is a specialised area and it is important to have the correct information:

  • for claims that are related to workplace exposure in NSW, contact iCare Dust Diseases Care on  1800 550 027 or (02) 8223 6600
  • for claims that are not work related, you can find an experienced asbestos litigation lawyer by contacting the law society in your state. The Law Society of NSW contact number is (02) 9926 0333.

Organisations that can help with this include:

  • Asbestos Diseases Research Institute (ADRI)
  • Asbestos Diseases Foundation of Australia (adfa)
  • Cancer Council.

Where to get help

There are people you can talk to for more information or support.

My notes: