Help at home
For people with cancer, it can sometimes be difficult to manage at home.
There are a number of organisations that can help.
Help with meals
Cancer treatment can make you feel tired and unwell for a time. This can make preparing meals difficult to manage. However eating well is important when having treatment and recovering from cancer.
Help with preparing meals is available for people affected by cancer.
- People affected by cancer may be eligible for Meals on Wheels, which delivers meals to your home at low cost. To find a Meals on Wheels service near you go to their website.
Note: Local Meals on Wheels services run independently. Some may ask you for a letter from your social worker or doctor.
- Some commercial services are also available. Check with the social worker at your cancer centre about what is available in your area.
Help around the home
People affected by cancer can get home help to assist with things like housework, shopping or dog walking, etc.
- Cancer Council NSW provides financial assistance towards the cost of cleaning and gardening for people affected by cancer who are unable to afford the cost.
- You may qualify for assistance from the Department of Family and Community Services.
- There are also commercial services that provide help around the home.
- You can discuss these issues with your GP, or social worker where you are being treated.
- If you are an older person, the Australian Government has services to provide help at home, and support if you are caring for someone at home. The My Aged Care website has more information.
Nursing support at home
You may qualify for nursing support at home if you need it.
- Community and home nursing support is available from some cancer centres in certain cases. Ask at your centre whether there is a service available.
- Your GP can also refer you to the local community nursing service.
Other resources we recommend
Use the following links to find out more about this topic.
In home help http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/74269/get-support/practical-support-services-get-support/accommodation-practical-support-services/in-home-help/?pp=110573
Meals on Wheels services NSW http://www.nswmealsonwheels.org.au/Find-Us/Service-Locator/?latitude=-33.860300000000002&longitude=151.20160000000001&distance=10&location=2000
Cancer Council Mon-Fri 9am-5pm13 11 20
Family & community services NSW Mon-Fri 8.30am-5pm(02) 9377 6000
My Aged Care Mon-Fri 8am-8pm Sat 10am-2pm1800 200 422
Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia Monday - Friday1800 220 099