View or request summary cancer statistics
Summary statistics, otherwise known as tabulated or aggregate data, are data that relate to multiple people or events. The data are combined and reported in a table. For example, the numbers of cases of cancer in NSW, mortality rates for a particular cancer or breast cancer screening rates. It is not possible to trace the data back to an individual person.
The cancer statistics NSW page is an interactive dashboard providing summary statistics.
Summary statistics are available for:
- Cancer incidence
- Cancer mortality
- Cancer survival
- BreastScreen NSW
- An overview of clinical trials in NSW.
Request summary statistics not available on Cancer statistics NSW
To request summary statistics that are not available on Cancer statistics NSW, please see sections below.
NSW Cancer Registry data
Data version: NSW Cancer Registry (NSWCR) 2017 NSW cancer incidence and mortality release
Data available for summary statistics:
- Invasive primary cancer cases:
- Incidence and mortality: 1972-2017
- In-situ cancer cases for breast cancer and melanoma only:
- Incidence and mortality: 2002-2017
Next data release:
- Cancer statistics NSW and data for summary statistics:
- 2018 NSW cancer incidence and mortality (due second half 2021)
- More information on the NSW Cancer Registry.
- In-situ cases for breast cancer and melanoma are collected by the NSWCR but are not included in any statistical reporting. They are not registered according to the same standard coding rules as invasive cancers, thus they should not be included with or compared to invasive breast cancer or melanoma incidence and mortality statistics.
Data dictionary and forms:
Caveats and release notes:
- Caveat on Use of Data Item - Degree of Spread (PDF)
- Caveat of Use of Data Item - Day of Diagnosis (PDF)
- Changes related to the 2016 incidence and mortality data release (PDF)
- Changes related to the 2017 incidence and mortality data release (PDF)
Data custodian: Data Governance Manager
Other data available
Please submit the following data request forms to CINSW-ScreeningAndPreventionData@health.nsw.gov.au
For information about data elements available, please refer to the relevant data dictionary on the unlinked unit record data page.
Data request time frames and cost
We aim to extract, check and supply 95% of summary statistic data requests within 5 to 10 working days. We will contact you to discuss your request.
Complex data requests may incur a cost.