Support when you have cancer
People with cancer may need a range of information and support at different times. The support needed can be:
It is important to know that there are people and organisations that can help.
Support when you have stomach cancer
One of the main organisations that provides information and support for people with cancer is the Cancer Council. Their services include:
- an Information and Support line, 13 11 20, which has specially trained staff available to offer support
- a range of face-to-face, online and telephone support groups
- a program called Cancer Connect where you can talk to someone who has experienced cancer
- an online community for people with cancer and their families and friends.
There are also a number of organisations that provide support specifically for people affected by stomach cancer:
- The Pancare Foundation offers support and information for several cancer types including stomach cancer. Support meetings are held in Melbourne and there are also telephone groups held in conjunction with the Cancer Council.
You can also talk to the cancer care coordinator or social worker where you are being seen. They can tell you what services and support groups are available locally. Your GP may also be able to provide information about this.