Sun and UV at School Challenge
Win for your students, classroom and school with the Sun and UV at School Challenge designed to ignite your students' creativity and real-world problem-solving skills.
As part of the release of our new Sun and UV at School classroom resources, the Cancer Institute NSW has launched the Sun and UV at School Challenge for NSW schools.
Separate primary and secondary school challenges encourage K–10 students to work individually or in groups to solve real-world problems linked to skin cancer prevention. They will be tasked with demonstrating how to best protect themselves, their friends, and the wider community from the harmful effects of the sun.
Inquiry and project-based learning is at the core of this initiative. Students will build on existing ideas of what it means to be sun safe and develop contemporary solutions to shade provision. The challenge draws on the new classroom resources and the objectives, content, skills and outcomes of the aligned K–10 PDHPE and Science syllabuses.
Prizes for schools, teachers and students
Students can play an active and conscious role in society. This challenge encourages students to develop contemporary solutions to shade provision, explore skin safety further, and build on existing ideas of what it means to be sun safe.
In separate challenges, primary and secondary school students will design a functional, fun, and innovative space that protects themselves and their community by providing essential shade.
- The facilitating teacher of the winning primary school entry will receive $2,000 to purchase classroom resources
- The winning primary student or group will receive a $500 Westfield gift card
- The facilitating teacher of the winning secondary school entry will receive $2,000 to purchase classroom resources
- The winning secondary student or group will receive a $500 Westfield gift card
- The class with the highest quantity of entries will receive two cricket bats signed by every member of the Sydney Thunder Big Bash League and Women’s Big Bash League
steams of the 2018/19 season
- The school with the highest quantity of entries will receive 1,500 65mL tubes of SPF 50+ sunscreen.
Get ready, get set...GO!
Entries for the Challenge have now closed.
Winners will be announced on Monday 16 November during National Skin Cancer Action Week 2020. Stay tuned!